Hello again!

As you probably know, I am making blog posts as I progress through my UVic EDCI 407 Assignment 1. One of the actions I took during my completion of the assignment was to create a short survey about parents’ reactions and perceptions surrounding their child’s report cards. My short survey consisted of 5 questions, and I was lucky to have the guardian(s) of five different students complete my survey.

Survey:

Answers:

Q1. How would you describe your child’s performance based on reading their report?

• great
  • average
  • Good
  • Okay
  • decent

Q2. Were you surprised by any grades/comments?

• No
  • No
  • No
  • Yes, I thought they were a good reader, and some things seem contradictory, how can my kid be “a careful, thoughtful writer” yet “need to focus on specific tasks better”
  • Yes, I feel like I had to constantly help with [Johnny] at home, but he got straight 3’s and even two 4’s

Q3. Does the report reflect the same feeling as your communications with the teacher?

• Yes, we talk to her often so the report was not really anything substantial to us
  • Kind of, she only ever has nice things to say about [Jasmine] to us but the card said she needs improvement on a few things
  • I’ve never met them so I can’t answer this
  • No
  • I don’t know we never talk

Q4. Is there anything you would change?

• No, we love [Mrs. H]
  • I’d like to see some examples of her work
  • I don’t know
  • I’d like more in-depth wording and comments that are about MY child.
  • I wish it was more comprehensive and gave me some suggestions or invitations to be involved at the school more

Q5.  How did the report card make you feel?

• Proud
  • Self-conscious
  • Okay
  • Confused
  • Dumb

These answers are something that I plan to investigate further and I plan to post a video of my analysis and reaction on this blog,

See you again soon!

apple