Blog post #2: 

After reading this week’s material and interacting with my learning pod friends, I feel that the topic of online and open learning is misunderstood, and most criticisms are caused by fear and ignorance. 

Due to our knowledge of the history and theoretical foundations of today’s teaching practices and pedagogies, my learning pod was able to have an intriguing conversation around this week’s resources. We did a group annotation of three of the suggested readings (a small portion is shown below).

After the web meeting with Dr. Barbour, Dr. LaBonte, and Dr. Roberts, my main takeaway is that your approach to teaching is the essential aspect of ensuring student learning, regardless of the format or setting. Another part of the meeting that stood out to me was the respect that a teacher must show for the authority under which they are teaching. This subject was pointed out by Dr. Labonte when he discussed the bureaucratic restraints under which teachers work. I am thankful for being led to a resource that outlines a set of standards for online teaching that our speakers were part of creating.

The topic of online learning was further discussed in this week’s reading, written by Tony Bates. In his article, he states his fear that “it could be argued that past learning theories are made irrelevant by digital technologies” to which he disagrees. I agree with Tony’s disagreement with this argument as I think that learning theories are just as relevant when using digital technologies, if not more so.

Here are some insightful quotes  and a beautifully informative infographic from my pod members:
  • “an understanding and appreciation of different learning theories is key – they can be useful in different situations and contexts. It’s important not to dismiss certain theories outright. be open to learning about them!”  Leona Ngan.
  •  “Digital technology is helping the teacher to teach and interact with their students,” Kirby Jarvis.
  • “We are social beings, who learn better when learning is social, active and interactive,” Kirby Jarvis.
  • ” This highlights the importance of social presence/social interaction in online learning,” Leona Ngan.

Bates, Tony. Learning theories and online learning in Online Learning and Distance Education Resources. July 2020. https://www.tonybates.ca/2014/07/29/learning-theories-and-online-learning